Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Wild Bunch is an outlaw posse in Rockstar Games' Red Dead Redemption.

Join the: Wild Bunch Cafe Press Shop and Facebook Posse! Wild Bunch GALLERY now officially open!
BIG SPENDER: lifeundone
Donate to get whores for the Whore Shop! All money donated will help me pay for the site. Thanks!
Rock Star sent us an EXCLUSIVE screenshot! Check it out HERE!

5 posters

Duels - The Lowdown

Screaming Meat
    Screaming Meat
    Goon
    Goon

Whores : 242
    Wanted Level : 11

Duels - The Lowdown Empty Duels - The Lowdown

Post by Screaming Meat Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:59 pm

Okay, okay - I know that there is already a topic. Sue me. I wanted to cover this in detail and keep it updated.

This is from a combination of El Loony's and Hellafied's advice and my own personal experience (and posts). I'll update it when I have more information (all contributions gratefully received):

Dueling

Practice:

Practice is the best way to get better... obviously. The best ways to practice are either replaying the mission with Muller ('Lucky in Love', I think) via the in-game menu or by purchasing the 'Elegant Suit' from Thieves Landing and purposefully failing the cheat mini-game in Poker. There are various other missions with duels, of course.

I prefer cheating at poker because, as much as I've tried, I don't think it's possible to disarm Muller. You have to go through that Poker game, too.

The downside of cheating at Poker is, once the duel is over, it's entirely possible a few of the Poker Player's mates might chip in a few slugs. It's you're call, at the end of the day.

Drawing:

You can draw using L2 (LT on Xbox) or by pulling down then up using the Right Thumbstick. The benefit of using the thumbstick is you can hold it down before the 'DRAW' comes up, meaning you can pull first a heck of a lot faster, even if you wait for your opponent to draw. This isn't considered cheating, at least on PS3.

Drawing before your opponent will give you faster but less accurate shots. The longer you wait to draw, the more the screen zooms in and the easier it is to place the best (white) shots.

Don't forget: pulling your gun from it's holster before the 'DRAW' sign appears is considered cheating and you will lose honour.

The Bar:

You need to fill up your bar (bottom right of the screen) before your opponent fills his. Placing all your shots will fill the bar. The more accurate (white) the shots, the quicker and higher the bar will fill.

A disarm will fill the bar instantly.

Crosshairs:

Fire with R2 (RT on Xbox). The cross-hairs oscillate between red and white, with white being the most accurate. The faster the draw, the more difficult it is to get the white cross-hairs and vice-versa. The white cross-hairs fill the bar quicker.

You can make all your shots red and place them all before your opponent and still win comfortably. However, there is a risk that your opponent's shot placement will be better than yours and you could end up choking on lung blood and lead, even if you do place them all first.

Making sure all your shots are white means certain victory.

Disarm:

Getting a shot cross-hair on their gun will fill up your bar instantly. You can only do this once they have drawn. You can disarm with a red or white cross-hair but be warned, if you are up against a high-level duelist/main story character you are better off taking them down the old fashioned way.

If you want to shoot their hat off, do so before you make the disarm shot. Make sure it's not a head shot by hitting the very top of the hat or the rim. It looks funny.

I tend to draw first and then aim at their gun as they draw it. You get a few extra seconds this way, helping to make sure you get it just right. Ideally, they lose the gun, the duel and possibly a few digits. However, they do keep their lives and you gain a bit of honour.

That's it for the moment. It's not perfect but it should be a good foundation for experimenting. I'll update as I learn anything new.

Last edited by Screaming Meat on Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
    hellafied
    hellafied
    Branded
    Branded

Whores : 106
    Wanted Level : 10

Duels - The Lowdown Empty Re: Duels - The Lowdown

Post by hellafied Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:16 pm

360 Version:

Wait for "DRAW" to appear which will initiate Dead-Eye.
    Use Up Or Down on the Right Analog Stick to move your hand closer or further away from the holstered weapon.
    Pressing Down too long will inevitably draw your gun.

Once your gun is drawn use the right stick to aim your reticule.
    Use the Right Bumper to designate targets and fill your "Kill Meter" before you're opponent's to win.

Shooting hats off and disarming opponents grants you the most Honor and Fame after the duel.
    Keep in mind you want to designate your hat shots at either the top tip, or the right or left brims of their hats.
    You also want to do this before you designate the disarming shot.
    Designating a shot at their hand or gun before doing so to their hat will fill the "Kill Meter" instantly causing you
    to shoot before having the opportunity to perform your hat shot.
    Take too long and you'll get shot down.
    Screaming Meat
    Screaming Meat
    Goon
    Goon

Post by Screaming Meat Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:01 pm

That's awesome work, chief. I completely forgot that the buttons were PS3 only!

Regarding holding the right thumbstick down, I always do that and it doesn't draw until you push up. Is that purely PS3?
    SwatAgent99
    SwatAgent99
    Goon
    Goon

Whores : 255
    Wanted Level : 15

Post by SwatAgent99 Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:18 pm

I win every duel, but I was wondering how to disarm. Thanks very much both of you.
    hellafied
    hellafied
    Branded
    Branded

Post by hellafied Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:06 pm

Yeah you have to pull up to actually draw, I can't remember if just having your hand on your gun without pulling up is considered cheating before the DRAW.
    Reed
    Reed
    Goon
    Goon

Whores : 296
    Wanted Level : 12

Post by Reed Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:11 pm

SwatAgent99 wrote:I win every duel, but I was wondering how to disarm. Thanks very much both of you.
    all you have to do is place one X on the opponents gun and the bar fills up all the way instantly.
    It's pretty easy
    hellafied
    hellafied
    Branded
    Branded

Post by hellafied Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:40 pm

Oh yeah, it is impossible to disarm a certain German card player. Also Impossible to disarm people when caught cheating at poker - these are duels to the death.
    Screaming Meat
    Screaming Meat
    Goon
    Goon

Post by Screaming Meat Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:00 pm

I hate to contradict, but you can disarm poker players (at least on PS3). It's main story characters that MUST DIE.
    hellafied
    hellafied
    Branded
    Branded

Post by hellafied Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:10 pm

Must be different then, every time I try to designate the hand/gun it just makes me place more markers on poker players.
    JesseJames
    JesseJames
    Goon
    Goon

Whores : 145
    Wanted Level : 4

Post by JesseJames Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:29 am

Screaming Meat wrote:I hate to contradict, but you can disarm poker players (at least on PS3). It's main story characters that MUST DIE.

I did it on xbox too
    Screaming Meat
    Screaming Meat
    Goon
    Goon

Post by Screaming Meat Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:58 pm

hellafied wrote:Must be different then, every time I try to designate the hand/gun it just makes me place more markers on poker players.

Is this even after they've drawn? Sometimes I have trouble hitting the gun but once I do...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 3:08 am